• Call Us
    01902 401004
  • Mail Us

Landlords need to be fully prepared in every eventuality in todays world in respect of not only ensuring that your investment is secure but you are also protected from all the pitfalls within the property investment business and further ensure that you are upholding good standards, by at least ensuring that you are complying with the current minimum requirements for your rental properties. This is where we can ensure that you are protected!

The reasons to sign up with JSB Properties














The Process to Rent your property with JSB Properties!!!

Get your property ready- prepare your property for rental if required any maintenance./renovation/refurbishment.

EPC/GAS SAFE/ELECTRICAL CERTIFICATE- make sure you have a valid EPC certificate and all safety measures are in place.

Insurances, ensure Buildings cover is in place and any other insruances that you may feel you want in place to protect yourself as a property owner renting out their asset, for more information on insurance or very competitive quotes speak to one of the members of staff at JSB Properties.

Instruct JSB Properties to rent the property

The property will be marketed via various channels

Queries or requests will be dealt with by JSB Properties and any information or particulars required will be forwarded.

Viewings will be carried out by JSB Properties with any potential tenants

Negotiations will be carried out with any potential tenants to ensure all terms are agreeable.

An offer will be received and JSB Properties and yourself will accept the offer.

Tenant referencing and checks will be carried out to ensure, credit checks, rent affordability, employer reference, previous landlord reference, Right to Rent checks are done, and as many as required will be carried out.

JSB Properties will ensure the first months rent and one months deposit is collected from the tenants.

The contract will be signed once complete, and your signatures will be required if it is a rental only, if it is a managed property then we will be able to go ahead based on just your instruction as the contract will be between JSB Properties and the tenant.

If you have instructed JSB Properties to carry out an inventory at the extra charge one will be done and kept on record.

Keys will be provided to the tenants to arrange move in.

All meter readings will be taken and JSB Properties will notify all the utility companies of the tenant moving in with move in meter readings for them to adjust their accounts and ensure all further billing is sent on the tenants names.

Consider property management, JSB Properties can carry this out for you, just speak to a member of staff from JSB Properties.

The Process to sell your property with JSB Properties!!!

A home visit is required to provide a valuation of the property you are looking to sell.

Get your property ready- prepare your property for sale if required any maintenance./renovation/refurbishment.

EPC- ensure a EPC certificate is in place which is valid, if you need help with this get in touch with staff at JSB Properties who can help you with this.

Signup with JSB Properties on a no sale no fee basis.

Verification-you will be required to verify your property ownership and other particulars.

Advertisiement: The property will be marketed via various channels

Queries or requests will be dealt with by JSB Properties and any information or particulars required will be forwarded.

Viewings will be carried out by JSB Properties with any potential purchasers.

Negotiations will be carried out with any potential purchasers to ensure all terms are agreeable.

An offer will be received and JSB Properties will forward the offer to you and await for you to feedback and accept the offer if it is satisfactory.

Conveyancor/solicitors: Once an offer is agreed the solicitors will be instructed to carry out the sale, if you do not have a solicitor, please speak to us we have a sister company that works hand in hand with JSB Properties to ensure a swift sale.

Exchange and Completion: on completion the sale is completed you receive the funds of the sale and the handover of the keys is arranged with the new owner.

Legal Requirements for a landlord

These are items that are legally required as standards from Landlords or managing agents, which I have detailed below:


The energy performance of buildings (certificates and inspections) England and wales regulations 2007 and 2012 from 1st April 2018, there will be a requirement for any property rented to have a minimum energy performance ratings of F on an energy performance certificate. For new lets and renewal of tenancies too. A civil penalty of upto £4000 will be imposed for breaches.

Also please note that all commercial properties also require EPCs too and only needs to be displayed if frequently visited by the public. Failure to have these in place will result in a fine between £500 to £5000.

  1. GAS SAFETY (INSTALLATIONS AND USE REGULATIONS) 1998, failure to provide an annual gas safety certificate for a property will result in the matter being reported to the health and safety executive (HSE). As lives are being put at risk the HSE gives gas safety a high priority and will take appropriate action to ensure compliance with the regulations. This could result in a substantial fine and/or a custodial sentence.
  2. ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONDITION REPORTS in compliance with BS7671:2008 this report is required to be carried out before letting a property. Also please note that consumer units in plastic (dual RCD Protected) are not compliant and have been recommended to be changed to metal cased units to be compliant under the new regulations.
  1. RIGHT TO RENT-IMMIGRATION ACT 2014: landlords are responsible for checking that a person has the correct immigration status to legally live in the UK, before they can take up occupation of the landlords property. Non compliant landlords who consistently fail to carry out checks maybe liable to a civil penalty of utpo £3000. This applies to all your tenants.
  1. SMOKE AND CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS (ENGLAND) REGULATIONS 2015: smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms must be installed in rented residential accommodation. We recommend interlinked fire alarm systems in properties of mixed commercial residential use, or properties with more than one storey and more than 2 units, Please note failure to comply results in a financial penalty of £5000.
  2. CIVIL PENALTIES: landlords can be issued with civil penalty notices for housing breaches as of 6TH April 2017. Local authorities can implement fines of upto £30,000 for a range of offences under the housing act 2004, including failing to comply with an improvement notice served by the council and overcrowding rules.
  3. HMO(houses in multiple occupation)-we do not manage HMOs at JSB Properties.
  4. BANNING ORDERS: If we fail to comply with the above consistently 3 or 4 times local authorities can ban landlords or agents from renting the property.
  5. HMOs LICENSING:we do not manage HMOs at JSB Properties.
  6. UNIVERSAL CREDIT: please note that this will be rolled out on 13th December 2017 which will apply to all people who claim any sort of benefit. Most people will:
  • Be expected to apply for universal credit online
  • Have to wait upto 6 weeks (in some cases longer) before receiving their first payment.
  • Be expected to budget monthly
  • Be expected to pay their own rent
  • Be expected to keep to a ‘claimant commitment’ undertaking to look for work and be available for work.
  1. FIRE SYSTEMS AND ESCAPE: requires annual fire detection and alarm systems certificate.

A Landlord’s Rights of Entry

As a landlord, you have three primary rights of entry.

The Right of Reasonable Access

Your first right as a landlord is a right of reasonable access to carry out repairs. The definition of ‘reasonable access’ will be dependent upon why you need to gain entry. For example, in an emergency, you’ll be entitled to immediately enter the property to carry out any necessary work.

The Right to Enter to Inspect the State of Repair of the Property/Empty a Fuel Slot Meter

Your second right as owner of the property is a right to enter to inspect the state of repair of the building or to empty a fuel slot meter.

Unlike the former right, however, this does not grant you an immediate right of entry. In this case, 24 hours’ notice must be provided prior to entering your tenant’s home.

The Right to Enter in Order to Provide Room Cleaning Services

The third right is conditional upon the contract between you and your tenant, and only arises if you have an agreement stipulating that you’ll provide a room-cleaning service, or where the room is shared by multiple lodgers. In this scenario, you don’t need to obtain permission before entering the property.

In every other circumstance, you don’t have a right of entry unless you have a court order stating otherwise.

The Law

A landlord’s right of entry is statutorily regulated, in accordance with the rules laid out in the Housing Act 1988.

How Much Notice Does a Landlord Have to Give?

According to the Housing Act 1988, as a landlord, you’re obligated to provide your tenants with at least 24 hours’ notice before entering the property.

Can I Visit at Any Time Provided Notice has been Provided?

As standard, your tenancy agreement will also state that visits must only be made at ‘reasonable’ times of day. This is in place to ensure that your tenant has the option to be there if they want to be, has a chance to tidy up before you visit and is able to arrange to have a witness present if you don’t have the best relationship with them. Abiding by this benefits both parties, and failure to do so could be highly damaging to the relationship between you.

Can I Take Other People Into the Property?

If your tenant has given notice that they want to end the tenancy and move out, you have the right to both conduct visits and show the property to prospective new tenants. However, this only comes into effect during the last 28 days of a standard assured shorthold tenancy agreement.

The same right exists whether you’ve served a Notice to Terminate (essentially, a notice of eviction) or your tenant has given notice that they’re moving out. If you’ve served notice before the end of the lease agreement, then this must have been done in accordance with Section 8 of the Housing Act 1988.

Even in this scenario, access is only gained by providing 24 hours’ notice in writing. Ongoing disputes with regards to tenants not wanting to leave, for example, won’t affect this basic right to show prospective tenants around your property, except in very rare cases where landlord harassment has been cited. This notice period is likely to benefit you as much as your tenants, as most people will make sure that the property looks tidy and respectable if they know others will be visiting their home.
Are There Any Exception to the 24 Hour Rule?

An exception to the general rule of providing 24 hours’ notice arises in the case of an emergency, if you or your representative needs immediate access to the home. It’s very rare for such a scenario to arise, and will only come into force when there’s a threat to safety. Examples of such a threat include:

  • A fire in the property
  • The smell of gas
  • Structural damage that urgently needs attention
  • The suspicion of a violent or criminal incident

My Tenant and I Get Along – Is All of This Formality Necessary?

Despite these legal stipulations, in most instances, where the relationship between landlord and tenants is cordial, visits will generally be arranged without a formal written notice – via a quick conversation on the phone, for example. This is usually the same for any visits from tradesmen that you arrange, including those where you won’t be present.

However, where this is the case, any visits you or your representatives make may legally be rebuffed, and your tenant is entitled to bar you from entering.

Landlord Obligations and Liability

It’s very important that, as a landlord, you understand what rights you do and don’t possess with regards to entering the property because, if you fail to abide by these, you run a very real risk of being prosecuted for harassment under the Housing Act 1988.

How Can I Avoid Such an Outcome?

To avoid this kind of situation, take the time to understand the basic rights of your tenants, primarily the right to live in the property ‘without unreasonable interruption from the landlord’.

What Happens if I Don’t Abide by My Landlord Responsibilities?

Although most landlord visits present no problems, as they are infrequent and polite, if you’re persistent you can be charged as above, fined and ordered by the court to stay away from your property. In very rare and extreme cases, you may also find that the police are notified.

In Summary

To clarify, always be aware that it’s, in fact, illegal for a landlord or agent to enter a property without agreement from the tenant. The golden rule to abide by is always to provide your tenants with written notice at least 24 hours before any planned visits. Try to always be flexible about the time, and visit when it suits your tenant. Do not visit more than is necessary and, when you do, always ring the bell or knock on the door politely, waiting to be invited in – you should never just let yourself in without
permission, unless there’s an emergency.

Take the time to read up on the rights of both yourself and your tenant, and make sure that you abide by them and are respectful of the person who’s paying money into your bank account each month. Always bear in mind that you’re asking to enter someone’s home, irrespective of who owns the deeds to the property. In this way, with respect, politeness and fairness, you can foster a good relationship with your tenant – an arrangement that’ll be beneficial for both of you.

Here’s another tips page you may find interesting:

What is the Housing Act 1988 and what rights does it give me as a landlord?

Tenants’ deposits: how and why you should secure them

Today, landlords are obliged, by law, to put deposits received from tenants in a tenancy deposit protection scheme if their property is let under an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6th April 2007.

There are three schemes in England and Wales:

Separate tenancy deposit protection schemes exist for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

These rules and regulations, along with the role and necessity of tenants’ deposits, can be confusing for many landlords.

With that in mind, we’ve put some helpful answers together that help with commonly asked questions.

What is a Tenancy Deposit?

As a landlord, you’re entitled to request a depository sum from your tenant/s to cover any unforeseen costs that may arise from the tenancy, like damage to the property caused by your tenant/s or rent arrears that they may run up.

Do I Have to Take a Deposit?

Taking a deposit is not a legal requirement. However, we’d always advise that you request one, because failing to take a deposit means you run the risk of operating at a loss if your tenant/s cause damage to your property or accrue rent arrears that they can’t pay.

How Much Deposit Should I Take?

A typical deposit will be equivalent to 1 months’ rent. For example, if you’re charging £1,000pcm then you may wish to request a £1,000 deposit.

Equally, it’s not uncommon to ask for up to 6 weeks’ worth. This can be a more reliable sum if the property you’re letting is furnished or if your tenant has a pet, as these factors could potentially increase the risk of damage to the property – damage that you may find yourself liable for.

What is a Tenancy Deposit Scheme?

Under current UK law, any landlord letting property under an assured shorthold tenancy in England or Wales must place any deposit they receive in one of the three Government-backed tenancy deposit schemes listed above. These are:

It is solely the landlord’s responsibility to ensure that this is done, irrespective of whether or not you use a letting agent.

Why was the Tenancy Deposit Scheme Introduced?

Tenancy Deposit Protection (TDP) was rolled out as part of the Housing Act 2004. It was a fundamental part of the package of measures envisioned to raise standards in the private rented sector under the Act. The intention was to ensure that deposits were fairly and consistently handled, so that tenants who met the terms of their agreement would always receive their money back at the end of the rental term. It also meant that landlords could fairly use the deposit to cover any damages or losses of rent incurred during the course of the tenancy. As a final measure, the TDP put in place a dispute resolution service to quickly resolve any disagreements and reach a satisfactory resolution for the parties involved.

Who Does the TDP Apply To?

The rules imposed by the Act apply to every landlord and letting agent in England and Wales who has taken a deposit from a tenant under an assured shorthold tenancy, except those agreed before the 6th April 2007. The rules also apply to tenancies started before but renewed after this date.

Is Securing the Deposit into a Tenancy Deposit Scheme Really Necessary?
Provided that all three of the following applies, then yes:

  • The tenancy is an assured shorthold tenancy
    • The agreement was formed on or after the 6th April 2007 (or a renewal took place after this date)
    • A deposit has been paid

Should you fail to comply, you will be acting in contravention of the law.

How Does It Work?

Two types of TDP schemes are available for landlords and letting agents: insurance-based and custodial.

Insurance-based Schemes

Where a scheme is insurance-based, tenant/s pay their deposit to the landlord, who retains the money but pays a premium to their insurer.

Custodial Schemes

Custodial schemes are favoured by the majority of landlords. The tenant pays their deposit to the landlord or his agent, who then pays it directly into the scheme.

What if I Don’t Protect the Deposit?

As a landlord, you have a legal obligation to protect deposits falling within the criteria outlined above. If you fail to do so within 30 days, you could find yourself vulnerable to the following consequences:

  • Your tenant could claim three times the deposit amount plus the return of the deposit as recompense for your failings.
    • You may also find that you cannot serve a valid Section 21 notice under Section 215 of the Housing Act 2004. The only way to resolve this is to return the deposit to the tenant in full or with such deductions as you agree between you, or to make a successful application to a county court under Section 214(1).
    • Your tenant will have a defence to any claim made by you for rent arrears.

What Do I Need to Do Once the Deposit is Protected?

The deposit you receive must be paid into your chosen TDP scheme within 30 days. Within the same timeframe, you should serve your tenant/s with the following information:

  • The address of the rental property
    • The sum of the deposit
    • The deposit scheme you’ve used to protect it
    • Contact details for your chosen TDP scheme and its dispute resolution deposit
    • The name and contact details of any third party responsible for paying the deposit, such as the letting agent
    • Instructions on how to apply to get the deposit back
    • Steps to take if there is a dispute over the deposit

Once the deposit is secured, it is a very good idea to ensure that your tenant has copies of any leaflets provided by the scheme, as these will usually contain relevant material regarding how it works. You must check that this has all of the required information, and if it doesn’t then you need to be prepared to supplement it with any further necessary data.

Informing the tenant/s of this information is imperative: it it’s merely a procedure but a legal requirement. Failing to comply with it could lead to prosecution, so it’s advised that you have your tenant/s sign a document confirming that they received the information.

Does the Tenancy Deposit Scheme Cost Anything?

This is dependent upon the policy you choose. The following schemes have premium rates attached:

However, free deposit protection schemes are also available.

For an in-depth overview, take a look at the guidance produced by the Government.

When Can I Take Money Out of the Deposit?

Deductions from the deposit may be made where the tenant fails to uphold their duties, as agreed within the tenancy agreement. For example:

Cleaning Deductions

If the tenant has agreed to clean the property before they move out, but fails to do so, then you could deduct money for doing it for them.

Damaged Property

If your property or its contents suffer damage, then it’s the tenant’s responsibility to repair or replace the affected item/area. The tenant/s must replace it like for like. If they fail to do so, then you may deduct a sum of money from their security deposit equal to the cost of purchasing a replacement. If you plan to do so and the tenant/s request it, then you must present a receipt or estimate for items to your tenant/s if they request it before you can make any deductions. Items broken or damaged as a result of normal wear or tear will be your responsibility to replace, so cannot be deducted from your tenant’s deposit.

Outstanding or Unpaid Rent

If your tenant leaves whilst owing you rent or maintenance costs, then you’re within your rights to deduct any unpaid monies from your security deposit. If your former renter owes an amount in excess of the security deposit you hold, then you can begin court proceedings to recoup the remainder.

Missing Items

If you have reason to believe that an item has gone missing, then you can deduct money for it from your deposit to replace it. The same rules apply with missing items as with damaged ones.

What Happens to the Deposit After the Tenancy?

If an agreement is reached about how the deposit ought to be returned, the scheme will return it for you, divided in the way agreed by both parties.

In the event of a dispute, be sure to notify your deposit scheme immediately, the scheme will hold the deposit until either their dispute resolution service or the courts decide what’s fair.

The Housing Act 1988

The Housing Act 1988 is one of the leading statutes governing property law in England. It covers a wide range of areas and contains a number of qualifications and exceptions to the rules that it lays down, which can be confusing. If you’re a landlord struggling to understand what the Act means for you, read on for a breakdown of its purposes and an explanation of the rights that it gives you.

What’s the Housing Act 1988?

Almost every landlord will have encountered the Housing Act 1988 – it’s referenced multiple times in the tenancy agreements that you’ll have signed, for example, and it dictates most of the law regarding the conflicting rights of landlords and their tenants. What the Act is, essentially, is a law that governs the private rental sector and the parties that make it up. The simplest way to think of it is as a rulebook containing the statutory rights and legal responsibilities of both landlords and tenants.

Is the Housing Act 1988 the same as a tenancy agreement then?

A common mistake that many landlords and tenants make is to confuse the law with a tenancy agreement. However, they’re not the same. A tenancy agreement is a legal contract between the two parties, specifying the terms of the individual tenancy, such as its length and the amount of rent that’ll be owed. The Housing Act, on the other hand, stipulates what the conditions within the tenancy agreement can and cannot be.

Do I need to know about the Housing Act 1988?

As a landlord, it’s essential that you ensure that none of the clauses in your tenancy agreement/s conflict with the statutory rights contained within the Housing Act 1988. If you don’t comply with this law, you’ll find that the tenancy agreement is invalid, due to the Housing Acts status as a ruling law (this means that it can’t be overwritten).

The Act is particularly stringent with regards to assured shorthold tenancy agreements, which were introduced alongside the Act itself.

What’s the purpose of the Housing Act 1988?

At the turn of the century, the private rented sector was very different from today. Most tenancies took the form of ‘protected and statutory’ tenancies. The effect of this was to create a legal system that was heavily in favor of tenants. This contributed to a situation whereby tenants essentially had the right to stay in a rented property indefinitely, passing the tenancy down to their relatives upon their death. When this happened, it became incredibly difficult for landlords to regain possession of their own properties.

This legal inequality meant that landlords became increasingly unwilling to let their properties; for fear that they’d lose control over them. Most council properties at this time had been sold, and these two factors combined to cause a housing shortage.

What Did the Housing Act 1988 do to resolve the situation?

The Housing Act 1988 was the solution to this problem. The government desperately needed to revive the private rental sector and ensure that housing became available to those who needed it. Ministers spent over 250 hours formulating laws that would redress this balance of power and therefore entice those who did own property to rent it out again. These proposed laws were passed and came into existence as the Housing Act 1988.

The laws that were introduced put in place a number of safeguards to ensure that landlords had the right to gain possession of their property should they need to, provided they followed the procedures outlined in the statute.

What changes did the Housing Act 1988 implement?

Three main areas of English property law were dramatically altered by the Housing Act 1988, which changed the underlying ‘common law’ on:
• Rent regulation
• Security of tenure, and
• Succession

Rent regulation

Rent regulation was dramatically reduced by the Housing Act 1988. What this means today is that landlords may charge whatever they like for a property, and the only bodies with the right to challenge the prices set by landlords are their tenants.

Tenants may only challenge the rent in the following circumstances:
• During the first six months of an assured shorthold tenancy, and
• Upon service of a notice to increase rent, which can be used by landlords annually to increase the rent after the fixed term’s ended

What does this mean for me?

With regards to the first scenario, this means that tenants who believe their rent’s higher than the current market value have the option to refer their case to the Rent Assessment Panel for review. Most tenants will be very reluctant to do this in light of your power, as a landlord, to end the tenancy in accordance with Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988.

In the second situation, landlords now have the power to avoid using the notice procedure, and can instead opt to increase the rent via a ‘renewal’ tenancy agreement.

These changes mean that the tenants’ rights outlined above have less influence upon landlords and are used less frequently. It’s these amendments that are largely responsible for the rapid increase in rental prices since the 1980s.

Security of tenure

According to the Housing Act 1988, two types of tenancy exist: those with long-term security and those without it. The former is known as an ‘assured’ tenancy. An assured tenancy is very similar to the old protected tenancy, with the exception that there’s a mandatory ground for possession in the case of serious rent arrears. This type of tenancy is very infrequently used by private landlords, and tends to be, instead, the reserve of social landlords such as housing associations.

Most private landlords instead favour ‘assured shorthold tenancies’. This is still a type of assured tenancy but it differs in two ways from the more traditional concept: the right to challenge the rent in the first six months (explored above) and an additional shorthold ground for possession – set out in Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988.

What does this mean for me?

An assured or assured shorthold tenancy will continue as a statutory periodic tenancy after the end of the contractual fixed term, according to Section 5 of the Housing Act 1988. This is what gives tenants with an assured tenancy long-term security. With a periodic assured shorthold tenancy, however, the let can be terminated at any time provided a properly drafted Section 21 notice has been provided.

This right under Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988, for the landlord to recover possession of the property after the end of the fixed term, has radically changed the rental sector in the UK. Far more people are now willing to let their property with the guarantee that they can evict tenants within six months of the contractual fixed term ending, as opposed to the previous position, whereby they might find themselves obligated to rent the property to two generations of a family.


With regards to assured tenancies, the rules are similar to those under the Rent Act (which was changed in line with the Housing Act 1988). This means that only a spouse can now inherit rental rights.

What does this mean for me?

The changes to the law on succession affect very few landlords, as assured tenancies in the private sector are uncommon.

With respect to an assured shorthold tenancy, succession rights no longer have any relevance, as the landlord has the power to serve a Section 21 notice to evict the tenant through the courts.

Revisions to the Housing Act 1988

The original laws, proposed in 1988, came into effect on the 15th January 1989. In an attempt to update the Act and rectify any shortcomings, modifications were made in 1997, after a review the year before, regarding grounds of possession, rent arrears and various other areas.

How does the Housing Act 1988 affect landlords?

The Housing Act 1988 is very important for landlords, as it stipulates the legal rights of both property owners and their tenants. The effect isn’t to shift all of the power to landlords but rather to ensure that both parties are treated fairly. Although you don’t need to be familiar with the whole law, you should try to gain a broad understanding of the areas that it governs so that you can refer to the Act if problems should arise.

Where can I read about my rights?

The Housing Act covers far too many areas to go over in detail in this article. However, so long as you understand that it governs almost all of your rights with regards to rental property, from serving notice to rental arrears and everything in between, then you’ll know where to turn should you need clarification of you or your tenant’s rights where they conflict.
To read the Housing Act 1988, visit the government’s website.